Monday, April 26, 2010

Sneak Peeks

Ever heard the potato chip slogan
"Can't stop with just one..."?
That would be a great way to sum up my
decorating projects...
"Can't stop with just one!"

As I mentioned before...
painting the family room, has turned into
painting the kitchen, breakfast room
and front hallway!
Added to this list is
making new pillows for the family room
as well as new drapes!
(See a trend?)

Family room has been painted, so
without further ado..
here's your sneak peek..

the before
and
the after
(see Zac on the couch?)
I hesitate to show you because the room is not "done" yet!
Wayne and I selected some wonderful fabric
for pillows and curtains to match
our new pewter wall color and
existing yellow couch and black furniture and chairs!
Once the room is complete
 I will be posting the finished product!

Now,
 onto our "almost" completed weekend project!
The hallway!
Walking into our front door, you would find
a large blank wall behind the steps.
The dining room is open to the entry on the left,
with the family room and kitchen to the rear
of the dining room.
(note this photo involved no staging... getting us as is)
At the opposite end of the hallway is my office
and a powder bath room.
(and Caribou's rear end.. whoops)
When I painted the family room,
I knew right away that the kitchen and breakfast room
would need painting...
One being now sliver and the other more brown/gold
I felt like I was living in a coin shop.
Because this hallway wall is the same color as the kitchen,
I now thought it was a great time for a change
for this wall too!
I decided to try and mimic the boxes on the columns
to create boxed trim.
We painted the upper part of the wall the
same creamy Hazelnut color in the rest of
the entry, to brighten the space.
On the bottom half we created box molding
using trim and chair rail and paint.
Wayne is wonderful at completing my crazy visions!
The finished product...
I'm so happy with the way it turned out!
We mimicked the same height as the trim on the columns.
It has brighten the whole entry and
added some visual texture and interest!
This front facing wall will be painted the grey pewter color.
Obviously, the next project on the list!
Oh boy, I see another project
This hallway now needs artwork!
Any thoughts?

I am linking to DYI Day
at A Soft Place to Land.
and to
Best DYI Projects of April
at Beneath My Heart!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you come and update my place too? I love everything you are doing. Eager to see it finished. You two are so talented!!!!!

Love, Mom

Judy@judyfriendphotography.com said...

Hi DeeDee, when you are done there you can come to my house....Jude

Wendy said...

Oh my goodness! You and Wayne are awesome! I don't know where to start...I love the familyroom wall color! I keep going back from the before to the after. You fireplace looks so pretty and stands out as a great focal point with the new wall color! I love the molding you added! We (me) has that on our (my) to do list for the up stairs hall! You have inspired me!!
Can't wait to see the pillows and curtains! Wow...You go Girl :)
Wendy

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Wow, that is a lot of work, but boy does it look good. I really need to repaint my living room/den and kitchen breakfast nook. Maybe even the hall and bed rooms, when you get started it's hard to find a place to end..
Thanks for show us, can't wait to see the finished rooms.
Molly

Christine said...

Your home is so big!
That's a lot of paint.

I would like to see your art work hanging on the wall. You must have a few hanging around, right?
You could name the hall, "Hey Day Hall Way".
(hey day means; an exclamation of cheerfulness, surprise, wonder)

Love the colors for the Family Room, good choice! I'm excited to see the final results.

Unknown said...

Love your blog! And the artwork! Found you thru Housechangers sunshine award- following now. I think I'd like to try out that same pewter color in my living room...what do you think? ann at http://housefinally.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-shout-out-for-help.html

Katie said...

LOOK at you GO Dee Dee, good for you!

I LOVE your wood floors and just love your half wood halls on the walls!

Marianne said...

Lol, yep been there. One project always leads to the next. But you should enjoy getting the ones finished that you did. Your hallway is looking great. Love that trim, matching the coloms.

june@craftyniche said...

Great transformation! I love molding. It makes such an impact!

Peg said...

The woodwork is wonderful! I love the fabrics too and I'm anxious to see where you use them. Suggestions for art? ... a beautiful display of your own work or maybe (like my daughter has done in her hall) a grouping of black and white prints of family pictures framed in simple black or white frames.

Kimmy said...

Gorgeous! Everything looks great! Keep up the good work! :)

Sue said...

Wow...love what you did with that wall! It really brightened the family room to lighten the color. I can't wait to see what you do with that fabulous fabric!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Everything looks so much lighter! Love what you did in the hall.

Karen said...

Love all the new trim. You & your husband did an awesome job! NG

Destination Seaborn said...

WOW! Your home is BEAUTIFUL! I love the fabrics you've chosen!
School is going well; just keeping me very busy! Can you believe it will be six weeks on Monday. Four weeks left and then I'm out for the summer. Hopefully, I can get to blogging again. Talk to you soon! Lisa

corners of my life said...

The box molding makes all the difference. What a beautiful upgrade.

Kimmy said...

Dee Dee,
I want to thank you for all the wonderful comments you leave me. You are so sweet and I really appreaciate reading them. And thank you for your prayers!

Your home is beautiful and I love the fresh clean color you chose.
Kimmy

Anonymous said...

Love it all, Dee Dee!!! Can't wait to see the rest. Love, Aunt T

Jenny said...

Love the treatment on the wall. Looks great. Two summers ago I replaced my kitchen floor. That lead to new counter tops, a back splash and new paint in the kitchen. Well, we have an open floor plan, so the family room, entry, and hall way had to be painted too. Long story short, the bathrooms were gutted and redone, the dining room totally overhauled and every wall in the house was painted except for my daugher's bedroom (which didn't need it) and the master bed room. I even bought paint for the master and just totally ran out of steam. Two years later --- it still is not painted. May be this summer......

Mama Thompson said...

I feel your "pain" on the snowball effect that house projects seem to have...we are in the midst of one too. LOVE the new family room color and your hallway looks SO great!

Amber said...

Stopping over from Traci's blog. That looks beautiful! It adds so much architectual detail and it looks great with your pillar! I love it! I so want to do this to my home. :)

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

Just found you via Beneath My Heart, and what a great job! The moulding looks amazing, and now you've got me wondering where I can use this in my home. K xx

restlessrisa said...

I am loving that molding! Makes me think I can do it. The hallway looks great!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Dee Dee,
I love all the hard work you have been doing. The paint color on the walls looks great!
And I am super impressed with your box trim and chair railing. That was a huge improvement to your hallway. A little sweat equity for your home.
thanks so much for linking up to my party.
blessings,
Traci

Michelle said...

Hi Dee Dee,
Loving what you are doing with your decorating! I think the wall color in the Family Room looks great. What a beautiful home! And more importantly I know its filled with love.
XoXo
Michelle